On Monday July 15,2019 at 00:00z an updated version of the VATSIM Code of Conduct will come into effect. This update has been under development for several months. The updates modernize the Code of Conduct to reflect the many years of change on the network. The general intent remains unchanged - members are expected behave in a manner that is respectful and tolerant of others while enjoying their time on VATSIM.
The New Code of Conduct can be found at http://vats.im/coc
While many of the items in the Code of Conduct have been tweaked or reworded for clarity, most of them are rules that you already know and abide by. Every member should read though the new code of conduct as everyone will be held to it, but here are some of the biggest changes.
- Members are required to register for VATSIM using their full real names, but now may connect to VATSIM using their full real name, a common shortening of their real name, their given name only, or their VATSIM Certificate ID number
- VATSIM Members may stream content utilizing VATSIM and persons who intentionally disrupt a stream are subject to immediate suspension.
- Pilots will be required to be able to comply with hold short instructions, and flying a speed, altitude and heading assigned by Air Traffic Controllers
- A specific set of restricted callsigns as well as limitations on recreating flights or organizing events recognizing real world disasters or tragedies
- While Air Traffic Control positions are generally “first come, first served;” a division may set policy for booking a position ahead of time within reasonable limits
Please visit the VATSIM General Discussion Forums to ask any questions you might have about any part of the new Code of Conduct.
Thank you for your continued participation in VATSIM and we look forward to many more improvements within the coming months!
VATSIM’s Board of Governors