New York ARTCC will be hosting a treasure hunt featuring three prizes! Study your FAR/AIM as well as the many approaches in the ZNY airspace.
ZNY loves its Minor airports but it's lost three precious packages! It's your job to find them before anyone else. Finders keepers! Here's the setup: out of the 17 minor airports to choose from, 3 approaches will be selected, each with a prize associated with it. Approaches and prize assignment will be randomly assigned.
Goal: have pilots fly multiple different instrument approaches (IAPs) in order to find prizes hidden in 3 approaches within the ZNY Minor airports.
Here are the random probabilities of winning individual and combinations of prizes based on wind direction (note: only 1 prize may be won by a single pilot):
A = first prize, B = second prize, C = third prize (in succession) (horizontal axis)
Cumulative Probability (right vertical axis) = probability of finding prize for ALL available approaches (regardless of wind direction)
N/NE/E/etc. (left vertical axis) = probability of finding prize if only using approaches aligned with the given wind direction
Number of approaches based on wind direction
- Pilots must put their simulator in their remarks to be eligible to win prizes:
- Microsoft Flight Simulator X: MSFSX
- Microsoft Flight Simulator X, Steam Edition: FSXSE
- Lockheed Martin Prepar3D v3: P3DV3
- Lockheed Martin Prepar3D v4: P3DV4
- Laminar Research X-Plane 10: XPL10
- Laminar Research X-Plane 11: XPL11
- Other: OTHER
- Airports Available & Their Approaches
- Each prize will be “hidden” in a specific approach at the airports available for the event.
- Approaches that are eligible will be listed in each airport's ATIS. If an airport does not have an ATIS, you can ask ATC for the open runways at the specific airport. Runway and approach configuration will be based on the wind on the day of the event.
- The first person to fly a winning approach will be notified and must keep the information confidential until after the event is over.
- In order to win the prize, the approach must be completed as instructed by ATC, and must be flown to a FULL STOP.
- Pilots must follow all FARs (including 250 knots below 10,000ft) throughout the event to remain eligible to win.
- Pilots must follow all VATSIM rules.
- Any type of aircraft may be used as long as FARs and event rules are followed. Approaches can be done IFR or VFR upon request.
- Pilots must make clear which approach they would like to fly with the valid approach controller on initial contact.
- Traffic levels at any airport may vary. ATC is not responsible for any delays due to traffic. Plan accordingly.
- Pilots may only win 1 prize each.
- New York ARTCC controllers are ineligible to earn prizes.
- The winning pilot will receive a private message with the following message:
CODE: SELECT ALL(CONFIDENTIAL) Congratulations, you have found a treasure! Please stay connected on the ground here while we get your information to our Events Coordinator. He will contact you to discuss how you will receive your prize. KEEP THIS CONFIDENTIAL. Thank you for participating.
- If the weather is below approach minimums, it will not be used.
Here are the three prizes (in no particular order):
- 1 $50 Amazon gift card ($50)
- 1 PMDG 737NGX Base Package (P3D: $90; FSX: $70)
- 1 Carenado product (<$40)