On July 6 1998, Hong Kong’s Kai Tak international airport took its last flight and closed its doors, moving all operations at the airport to the current Hong Kong International Airport. Although it has been 22 years since then, its legacy continues to live on. For example, right here on VATSIM, the Hong Kong vACC continues to keep Kai Tak under the ICAO code VHHX as one of the airports it controls.
Want to re live the thrilling moments of the Kai Tak IGS 13 approach as it flies over the residential buildings in Kowloon city? Well you're in luck, this year we are extending the event with three hours of service so more of you can come experience this thrilling approach so come join the HKVACC as we celebrate the 22nd anniversary of Kai Tak’s closure July 4th 2020 from 1200Z – 1900Z!
When : Saturday July 4th 2020 1200Z – 1900Z
Where: Kai Tak International Airport (VHHX)
Nav Data: https://www.vapap.com/kai-tak-airport
All X-Plane users please prepend your apt.dat file under X-Plane 11\Resources\default scenery\default apt dat\Earth nav data\apt.dat with the text in the following file
and add the following lines into user_nav.dat under X-Plane 11\Custom Data
If you have any question regarding X-Plane Nav Data installation you can contact [email protected] for more info
Scenery (FSX/P3D): https://secure.simmarket.com/flytampa-hong-kong-kai-tak.phtml
Scenery (X-Plane): https://forums.x-plane.org/index.php?/files/file/27728-vhxx-kai-tak-airport/
- Please pay attention to our Facebook, Discord, and Website for any new information that maybe added after the time of posting this.
- We discourage flying into the current Hong Kong international airport (VHHH) as it will cause conflicts with the heavy traffic we are expecting. And also the airports weren't built the coexist in real life.
- Runway 13 will be in use, however if the winds are too poor for 13 we will change it upon notice. If you wish to land on runway 31 expect significant delays.
- You need to have at least AIRAC cycle 1712 from Navigraph in order to fly the SIDs and STARs for Kai Tak International Airport (VHHX). If you do not have the required navdata, you must pay exceptional attention to the charts available on our website before flying into the airport. Don't hesitate to ask if you are in doubt.
- All aircraft can expect IGS13 approach. VOR13, NDB13, visual 13 are prohibited unless prior approval from ATC.
- Please plan at least 1-hour extra fuel for airspace congestion.