What's it all about?
For twenty hours this December, the skies of the South Pacific will be filled with aircraft all on a mission to Cross the Ditch.
To celebrate the 15th running of the event, this year's Cross the Ditch will stretch from one side of the South Pacific to the other, involving seven different airports in six different countries. The flight routes all range from two-and-a-half up to five hours flight time, so there is something for everyone.
Throughout the event, the Oceania region's two divisions - VATNZ and VATPAC - will be providing full ATC coverage, in the Southern Hemisphere's premiere oceanic event.
This is a great opportunity to experience Oceanic flying without the need to commit to an eight-hour flight!
If you're new to Oceanic Flying, our reporting tool makes taking part a breeze.
This twenty hour event is timed to allow pilots from all over the world join the fun:
- UTC: Saturday 1st December 2018 17:00 - Sunday 2nd December 2018 13:00
- AEDT: Sunday 2nd December 2018 04:00 - Monday 3rd December 2018 00:00
- NZDT: Sunday 2nd December 2018 06:00 - Monday 3rd December 2018 02:00
This season's event is organised in waves. Each airport will typically have a three-to-five hour departure window, during which time flights will be able to leave for the next destination. As the window closes, the departure window will open at the next destination.
Given each of the flights is 2.5 - 5hrs in length, the previous wave's flights will be arriving at the same airport as the next wave departs, maximising the amount of traffic at each airport.
NOTE: in order to ensure that you have ATC coverage throughout your flight, you MUST fly the wave route that is active at the time of your departure.
The individual routes are designed to ensure as much opposing traffic enroute as possible.
Most flights pass from one Oceania division to the other, and the result is six mini-flyins over the course of twenty hours!
The Wave Route and Departure Windows for Cross the Ditch 15 - Summer 2018 are:
- Wave 1A : 1700-1800z : Tahiti, French Polynesia (NTAA) to Nadi, Fiji (NFFN) - (Longer distance sector: ~5h)
- Wave 1B : 1700-1900z : Tahiti, French Polynesia (NTAA) to Apia, Samoa (NSFA) - (Shorter alternate sector: ~3.5h)
- Wave 2A : 2030-2300z : Nadi, Fiji (NFFN) to Wellington, New Zealand (NZWN) - (Shorter alternate sector: ~3.75h)
- Wave 2B : 1900-2230z : Apia, Samoa (NSFA) to Wellington, New Zealand (NZWN) - (Longer distance sector: ~4.75h)
- Wave 3 : 2300-0330z : Wellington, New Zealand (NZWN) to Noumea, New Caledonia (NWWW)
- Wave 4 : 0300-0700z : Noumea, New Caledonia (NWWW) to Auckland, New Zealand (NZAA)
- Wave 5 : 0530-0930z : Auckland, New Zealand (NZAA) to Brisbane (YBBN)
Calling all Pilots and Controllers
Flight plans are available from the Flight Plans section.
Book your flights now from the Flight Bookings page. Bookings made on this site help us plan for the event, and will also show up in vroute.
Controllers wanting to get in on the action can also apply now at the event's ATC Applications page.
Cross the Ditch is brought to you by VATNZ and VATPAC.